Sunday, September 18, 2011

Mabon Recipes: Side Dishes

Sweet Potato Souffle is a recipe I am trying tomorrow. Hopefully it will turn out. Souffle has a reputation for being very persnickety and easily upset.

Ingredients:

3 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 c cream or milk
5 eggs, whites and yolks separated
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt

Boil sweet potatoes until tender, 10-15 minutes, depending on size of dice. Drain and set aside.

Preheat over to 350 F. Grease a 2-quart souffle dish. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp sugar and turn to coat.

In a large bowl, mash together sweet potatoes, sugar, butter, egg yolks, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.

In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they peak. Gently folk egg whites into sweet potato mixture in a figure-8 fashion, 1/4 at a time. There will be flecks of white in the finished product.

Pour into souffle dish and bake for 30-35 minutes.

3 comments:

CatHerder said...

yum!

JustComment said...

This sounds delicious, may have to try it when I get home!

Bird said...

Oh my gosh, yummy! I know my husband and I would love this... it may take some bargaining with my son, though. LOL He's not big on sweet potato, but I bet I may just get him to try this scrumptious sounding dish. Thank you so much for posting all these recipes and helping save me and my family from the same old boring Autumn Equinox feast. :-)

Brightest Blessings,
Bird http://birdsearthyspirit.blogspot.com/